The village of Luqa is renowned for the number of historical remains to be found in the area. These range from roman remains to others which date back to the Bronze Age. Most of these discoveries were unearthed through development activities, which took place on the island at different stages over a span of a century.
These discoveries are, or rather were, scattered in different areas of Luqa. One of these was found in 1924 in a field known as “it-Tumbata” and belongs to the Neolithic years. It is believed that these remains used to form part of a Neolithic building. According to Sir Temi Zammit in “it-Tumbata” there was a Neolithic building, with its entrance facing the South. All this had been destroyed through construction works carried out in the area.
The cleaning exercise of a pit in a field known as “tal-Mejtin”, a number of pottery remains and jars dating back to the Bronze Age were found. Further excavation of the area resulted in the discovery of a number of graves dating to 1,400 BC. In one of the graves, an interesting discovery of a quantity of clay of that epic was found.
The list of historical and archeological remains to be found at Luqa had been enriched by the number of tombs discovered in 1959 on an agricultural area in front of the Luqa cemetery. A similar discovery of tombs was registered in 1939 in the surroundings of the old military and civil airport. Other four tombs carved in the rocks emerged in 1955 near the airport while workers were engaged on the construction of a road. The various clay, a lamp and human skeletons sufficiently proved to be roman tombs.
Furthermore, a dolmen was discovered in 1914 in the deep valley to the East of the hamlet of Hal Farrug. This dolmen had the form of a niche.